1/26/2011

I hate cancer

On Christmas Eve, a friend, of our's, Bill, that we know from the VFW wasn't feeling well. Over the course of the next week, he was sent from hospital to hospital. He eventually found out that he had cancer. It had started in his lungs and spread to his brain. He was only in his 50's.

He was put on steroids and went through some radiation. He came into the V twice since then when I was working. Instead of a Miller Lite he drank a Mt. Dew. He seemed to be doing relatively ok.

Last night, another guy, Lynn, that comes into the V called me and said he passed away. Yesterday he wasn't feeling well so Lynn took him to the doctor, as he has been since they found out he had cancer. The doctor sent him to the ER.

Lynn stayed with him until late in the afternoon. He told Bill he needed to go home to feed his dog and such and he'd be back between 6 and 7. As soon as Lynn got home, the hospital called and said he needed to come back. When he got back, he wasn't allowed to go in the room. About 5:30 the doctor came out and said Bill had passed away.

Bill didn't really suffer and he wasn't in a lot of pain over the last month. Bill was retired from the Army and a veteran of Desert Storm. Please keep him, his family, and friends in your thoughts.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will pray for his family and friends. Cancer is such a horrible thing.

CeCe said...

I hate it too! It is so sad that it takes so many lives.

Michelle said...

That's so sad. We'll be thinking of his friends and family.

Nicole said...

So sad, cancer is just so horrible. His family and friends, and you and your husband, are in my thoughts and prayers.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry, cancer is so horrible. This story hits home because a dear family friend of mine, Bill, is battling it right now too. I'm sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you and everyone else affected by this horrible disease.

Los said...

Cancer is awful ... I lost a childhood friend after 8th grade graduation ... he had liver cancer ... 8TH GRADE!!!!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

How awful, I'm sorry to hear this.

Unknown said...

Breaks my heart. Definitely keeping everyone affected in my thoughts and prayers.

AiringMyLaundry said...

Oh no, how awful.

They are in my thoughts and prayers.

Rei said...

Ditto. It's the reason I volunteer for the LiveStrong Challenge every year!

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry for your loss! Stupid cancer takes all the good ones :(