11/16/2010

My husband... the hunter

Deer hunting is a big thing around here. Most guys do it. It's a time for going to a cabin, waking up at the ass crack of dawn, freezing in a tree stand all day, maybe killing something, drinking a bunch of beer, scratching of themselves, gossiping like women, and doing it all over again the next day.

This year is the first year since before he was in the Army that Matt will be able to go deer hunting. I don't mind him being gone to go. Maybe I'll be able to get the house cleaned. Maybe I'll be able to throw some stuff away.

I just hope he doesn't kill one. We don't have enough room in the freezer for this deer meat he speaks of. We are going to buy a new fridge this spring for the house and move the house one to the garage. But, I wanted to wait until the spring to do this. Our savings account needs a break. I don't want to buy a small freezer either.

I do NOT eat deer meat. And I'm not knocking anyone that does. It's just not for me.

** Side story ** Once when I was just a wee little girl. Maybe 10 or so. My daddy made some meatloaf. He kept making comments about how good it was. We were all eating and someone found a hair in it. Then mom bit into a piece of a bullet. I believe some curse words escaped her mouth. Something along the lines of what the hell is this. He fessed up that it was deer burger. Since then, no deer meat for this girl.

So, if he kills a deer, guess who he thinks is going to be cooking deer burger and deer chops. Yeah, me. Uhhhh.... no.

So, I believe I'm going to pray that he forgets about the deer while he's hunting and sticks to the beer because in the long run an extra case of beer over the weekend will be cheaper and less smelly. Do you know how bad deer meat smells when it is being dehydrated into jerky. I do. It's horrible.

** Side note ** Did you know that he has to get a FOID (Firearms owners identification or something) card just to have a gun? Wouldn't you think a military ID would be sufficient? I don't know if this is an Illinois thing or a national thing. But I do know that Illinois gun laws are super strict.

11 comments:

Macey said...

EWWW!!! You ate the butt shot deer?! UGH.

CeCe said...

Does not sound very appetizing to me either. I try my best to distance myself from the whole this used to be an animal on a farm or in the woods aspect of meat. But if there is no room for the meat then you can't really keep it...and hopefully he won't get one!

Jess said...

Oh man! LOL! Gotta love hunting trips! My dad is one of 5 brothers so I know all about this ritual. I agree too, that deer meat is GROSS! And smells highly disgusting LOL! Good luck and I will hoping that all he brings home is empty beer cans LOL!

Anonymous said...

Our gun laws are really strict as well, Jacob got his concealed easily though because he was military and he didn't have to take the certification course, He does however have to take the hunting course to get a hunting license, which is only to teach him about hunting laws and not gun laws.

It's Something Beautiful said...

I had deer once and I didn't think it was too bad. It wasn't prepared in jerky form though - I don't believe at least :/ I was young so I don't remember haha. Oh wells :)

www.life-itssomethingbeautiful.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

i had a similar experience with "steak" my dad made us when i was younger. it was actually moose. the thought makes me sick!!

Random Musings said...

Ok totally feel the same way.
SO I went to work for Game & Fish for the state we lived in. And they had a chilli cookoff every year and because I will TRY ANYTHING once.

So I tried dear chilli
moose chilli
Antelope chilli
Buffalo chilli

It was interesting and I have decided NEVER to eat game meet again.. Now that I think back I am glad I tried it because I mean really when will I ever come across Antelope meat in my life again?

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Hope he has fun but I'll be crossing my fingers for you that he doesn't kill any.

Unknown said...

I know in GA all Cody needs is his military ID but its a state to state thing. I don't eat deer meat either. Personal preferance and I don't like a whole lot of other red meat but growing up, I went hungry a lot because my dad and four brothers are all avid hunters and two or more of them always came home with something.

Sarah said...

I tried deer jerky once and I don't think that I could tell a huge difference between it and beef jerky. And that is very true about the firearm ID, the military ID should be PLENTY! He obviously was trained to use a gun, unlike most people who do own one!

Los said...

I'm more of a fisherman - both fresh and salt water ... actually, I've never hunted before.