Rewind.... Our wedding

Matt and I got engaged in November of 2007. From the beginning of our engagement, the number one question we were asked was when we were getting married. When we first got engaged we wanted to go to Cancun and get married on the beach with a few friends and family. We were planning on doing this during the spring of 2009. The longer Matt was in Iraq, the more we wanted to be together and be committed to each other through marriage.

About 6 weeks before Matt came home we decided to get married by a hippie preacher in a little chapel in Shelbyville. We didn’t want anything fancy but to be honest it ended up being a lot more than we had planned on. However, it was ended up being absolutely perfect. We reserved the church and invited people through word of mouth. The church only held 75 people so we basically picked and choose who we invited to the church. (I’ll get back to this in a minute) So we wanted to have somewhere to party after the wedding without spending a bunch of money. I talked to Nate at the brickbat and he said he would hire the Rhythm Pigz to play there on the night of our wedding and charge a cover charge. That sounded great to me.

Maybe a week or so later were when problems arose. Problem number one: A friend and I had been out for a few hours having beverages and visiting every watering hole in T-Town when we ran into one of Matt’s cousins. Let me just say this guy is an arrogant piece of work. He proceeds to tell that his parents didn’t get invited to our wedding (yeah because we didn’t invite them). I had personally called this guy a few weeks earlier and told him what was going on and that we wanted him to come. I explained to him again this night that both of our families were huge and we couldn’t invite everyone. Basically he was an asshole to me and since I was drunk I cried a lot that night. Problem number two: The T-Town town board decides that loud, metal music is not allowed outside after 11 P.M. Basically they decided if you are on the town board and own a bar it’s ok to have bands and karaoke outside as long as the neighbors don’t complain. If you own a bar next to a bunch of assholes, it is not ok. (So, piss on the T-Town town board.)

So I freaked out, we weren’t getting married until 8 P.M. in Shelbyville and I assumed we wouldn’t get back to T-Town until 10. Basically it wasn’t worth putting money into the town’s pocket for an hour of entertainment. When Matt is home, he and I like to drink at Dozer’s once in awhile and mingle with the owners, who are extremely nice people. I called Tina, the owner of Dozer’s, two days before our wedding and basically said here is the situation, we need a place to bring a band and a lot of people. She was more than excited that we had asked her. The only downfall was that now we were paying for the band (no biggie though). So once everything was settled we both felt a lot better.

Our wedding was more perfect than I had ever imagined. We took pictures before the ceremony, as to not cut into our drinking time. A friend of Matt’s took our pictures and used them in her portfolio and they turned out great. Shelley, Jessica and I drank some booze before the ceremony in the basement of the church. I think I had duck shit in my ear. For our guest book, we had a plain white cardboard picture frame with one of our engagement pictures in it for people to sign. We decided a few days before the wedding to have a picture of Matt’s sister that had died next to our unity candle with a bouquet of flowers. We had only talked to the priest once for about 45 minutes before we got married. During the ceremony he talked about how hard it was for us while Matt was in Iraq and talked about honoring the people that couldn’t make it (Matt’s sister). It seemed like he had really taken the time to get to know us and made the ceremony very personal. During our vows, Matt’s voice was shaky and he was on the verge of crying. I was fine until after we kissed then I started crying.

Well you know how some people hand out birdseed or bubbles or whatever when you leave the church. We handed out shots. We actually had shot attendants. Even the priest did a shot. So we took a few more pictures and signed the license and we were on our way. On the way to Dozer’s, myself, Matt, Shelley and Jess downed a 12 pack of Bud Light. We got to the bar and there were more people at Dozer’s than I had ever seen there in my life. The band had actually just started playing right before we got there and they sounded great. Well, they sounded great to me. A lot of relatives thought that they were too loud. But it was nice outside so they stayed outside most of the time. I have known the guys in the band for a while and was so excited that they could be a part of our day. Everyone had a great time at the bar.

I know our wedding may have not been the most conventional wedding but to me it was perfect. The biggest prize of all was Matt and I publicly announcing that we wanted to be together forever. I love that man with all my heart and cannot think of anything that would have made our wedding day any better.


No comments: