11/10/2011

School Blues

I've been really slacking in the school department.  I got my first C in college (well, this time around) on a test last week. I only studied crammed from 30 minutes before the test.  But in my defense, it was a hard test.

I just don't want to study or do homework anymore.  It doesn't help that I can't remember shit anything anymore either.  I only have 5 more weeks of class counting finals I think.  I need to find the motivation to pull my head out of my ass the clouds and get with the program.  I could still get an A in my classes.

After this semester, I have 6 classes left to take and then I'll have my Associates in Accounting, which was my first educational goal of several.  No matter how I slice it, I think it will be the Spring of 2013 before I get those 6 classes done.  

It's hard to work full-time and go to school.  I can't even imagine throwing a child into the mix.   

But I will make it happen.

I refuse to be a college drop-out again.  Not that I regret dropping out first time but this is different.  I'm 30 years old for Pete's sake.  And I'd like to be some kind of role model for my child someday.

Anyramble, next semester I registered for two classes.  I'm due the week of finals.  One class is Access and it's every Saturday in March.  I signed up to take this class before but ended up dropping it.  It always sounded like a good idea to only have to go to a class 4 times.  It's from 8 to 4.  But when I was working part-time, it wasn't as good of an idea as it sounded like.  You know, giving up a whole month of weekends.  Oh, by the way, I quit bar tending as soon as I found out I was pregnant.  But now, I have no life on the weekends so I'm thinking I may be able to do it.

The other class I signed up for is on Tuesday nights.  I'm taking it with a friend so we will ride there together.  It is called Office Procedures.  We refer to it as the "How to Use a Fax Machine class".  Here is a description from the website that I copied and pasted:

"Students handle office activities using the networked and laptop computers in a simulated office environment. Students access software including word processing, electronic mail and calendaring, and other specialized software. Other topics include file management, reception, postal services, internet usage, travel and forms preparation."

I mean really, I'm quite proficient in Internet usage and e-mailing.  I've tried everything for the last two years with my adviser to try to get out of this class. I asked to have my boss write a letter. I asked if there was anything I could substitute.  I asked if I could pay her off.  Not really but I'm guessing that wouldn't work either.

So, I'm going to take it.  I'm guessing I won't have to think very much, which will be a good thing.

So, I'm hoping to find the motivation I'm looking for and do some homework or something this weekend.

Hope you all have a great weekend!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hang in there! I lost motivation around this time EVERY semester it seemed and then had to push myself to make up for it. You can do it!!!

Megan said...

Girl I hated school and as it gets closer to that last class I always just wanted to skip, half ass it, or couldn't care less but somehow I always made myself do it. That one class you have to take sounds major retardo but at least it will be an easy A! Hang in!!

Nicole said...

ugh, i too was a college drop out and i too deal with the struggles of having to tell my child(ren) that im a failure. okay, i might not be a failure, but a huge disappointment to myself. i want to go back, one day, so my kids can be proud of me.

hang in there because you're so close!

CeCe said...

School and work is crazy rough. I'm only taking 2 and I hate it that it cuts into what little time I have left over after work. I got my BA after HS and if I hadn't done that I am pretty sure I never would have. Hang in there!!

Macey said...

You can do it!!
You have other things on your mind... :)

Unknown said...

Steph!! I haven't visited in a while and just saw the great news that you are PREGNANT!!! So exciting!!! I can't wait to read all about your little "button" :) Congrats Mama!

Impulsive Addict said...

I wasn't a good student. I hated school. It took me 5.5 years to graduate. I could NEVER go back but I am SO PROUD of you! I worked a couple of jobs to help me with my rent and car payment. It stinks working and going to school. Please keep going even after Button is here, ok?

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

You'll get through it and you'll once your done for good you'll feel so accomplished!! I think that's great that your taking two classes right after having a baby!